Sunday, September 15, 2013

Dee Why


What started out as a rainy morning ended up being a perfect day.


I arrived on The Strand at 9am and did a two hour solo protest. There is so much to be learned by protesting alone. The public does pay attention though I do think are more threatened by a single protester. 
It seems the unknowing of protest signs and pamphlets with no text makes it more suspect. It would seem that this would be less confrontational. 

One of the workshop attendees, Elle, arrived and we talked local issues and politics for quite sometime. It was great to get even more information and a better understanding of the region.

After lunch we all met in the boathouse, dressed and began the second march. I explained my take on the march in regards to procession, the human shields and the die in. I encouraged everyone to use this opportunity for some introspection on what each participant would protest given the opportunity. I spoke of the happenings in my state on this date 50 years ago in regards to racial issues.




Due to time restrictions by some of the protesters, this protest was shorter though equally effective.



I am so happy to have been able to work with such wonderful people and I will always remember Dee Why as the jumping off point for so many more protests projects in the future and for her outstanding natural beauty. 


Tomorrow starts the planning for next weekends protests in Manly. More information will be posted once a schedule is set. Please check back mid week for the schedule of times and meeting locations and feel free to come down and join in the march.

No comments:

Post a Comment